M. A. gedney pickle jar

edited January 2012 in Question and Answer
I dug up this bottle the other day. I was just wondering the worth of this bottle. Its embossed M.A. gedney pickling co..there is no other writing anywhere. Not sure of the age? the mold marks go up to the neck of the bottle and then dissappear. is this an applied lip? or a tooled lip?
not sure if there is a difference i am very new to this!

Comments

• it 7 1/4 inches tall, and has a few bubbles in the glass. the lip looks like its crooked.
  • Have you done a Goggle search for Gedney pickles? Bigtime Minnesota company with website that claims Mathias Gedney's pickle recipe has been bottled since 1890's. So undoubtedly the Minnesota bottle collectors have these all cataloged. Even without the embossing you should recognize it as a "pickle" by the wide mouth.
  • edited January 2012
    Betty Zumwalt devotes page 165 of her Ketchup, Pickles, Sauces book to the Gedney company. The founder moved from Chicago to Minneapolis in 1879 and the company grew quickly in the 1880s.

As Bob says, they are still in business today. (Direct link to the history page on their website.)

Your bottle would be early 20th century.
  • thank you so much.
  • edited July 2012
    if you still have it and want to sell it, let me know.
  • if you still have it and want to sell it, let me know.
  • I couldn't remember my info to sign in so I made a new profile I do still have this if your interestested. If so let me know and if we can come to an agreement I will post it as a buy it now on fleabay and let ya know when its on there
  • lol interested
  • There is a link reset your password - when you click login, look for the "Forgot?" link to the right of the password field.
  • I am not sure which email I used. i will look again thank you~