Antique Apothecary Show Globe. Can anyone identify and/or offer advice?

edited January 2012 in Question and Answer
I have an old Show Globe that I want to sell on ebay. I had an identical one that I sold last year but I got less than I wanted. The problem is that the metal parts are very dirty and the patina makes it look as if the brass plating has worn off. I took it apart and washed the metal parts with soap and water, and that helped a little. Still, the patina makes the brass plating all but invisible.

I took a few small pieces (the acorn fasteners that hold the rods to the bottom piece) and gently used some Wright's Copper Cream on them with a soft tooth brush and a sponge. This brought out some of the plating without completely removing the patina. I have attached some pictures. One is the complete Show Globe as pictured on wikipedia. The others are some of the pieces as they stand now, including the polished acorn fasteners.

I have had no luck identifying the maker and year of this item. The only ones I've seen on the internet are in Pharmacy Museums and when I contacted those places they couldn't help me with the details. The only one besides mine that I've seen on ebay was painted gold, and the seller didn't know any details, either.

If you're still reading, I have 2 questions:
1. Can you identify this item (maker, year, country)?
2. Should I continue to clean it with the Copper Cream in order to make it more saleable or will that decrease its value?

http://imageshack.us/g/805/redhangingshowglobe2.jpg/

Thanks for any input.

Comments

• edited January 2012
    post deleted
  • I have a fair amount of experience in the antiques restoration / conservation business so can say that I would just leave the patina as-is. Original condition is often preferred and more valuable.

The main point I would confirm is whether the metal is in fact non-ferrous (eg. brass) and not a pot metal with some type of brass finish. Put a magnet to it and you have your answer. Then you can be unambiguous in the description when selling.

Ebay can be a fine place for getting rid of stuff but may not be your best option. I would at least consider a few antiques auction houses since their fee will be about the same as what you would pay combined for ebay and paypal. (~15%)

Two that come to mind here would be Jeffrey Evans Auctions in Virginia - they specialize in period glass and Glass Works Auctions in Pennsylvania. The latter is more focused on bottles but the owner, Jim Hagenbuch, is very knowledgeable. Check with both of them.

I have seen these over the years and have an idea about the value, but could not tell you anything specific about the make and origin.

• Thanks for the reply. I have previously tried a magnet on the metal and have determined it's not solid brass, but brass plated. I will consider using an auction house. May I ask what your idea of the value is? The glass is intact with no scratches.