Blue Bottle found..What is its value..Any other information about it..

My dad found this blue bottle...its dark blue and has a symbol on the bottom that looks like an H with an A under it. It also has 2-K-702. He thinks its old and I dont so we are trying to figure out how old it is...whats its value..where its from..and possibly what it was used for. I tried to get a pic of the symbol on the bottom but it didn't turn out very well. Let me know if you can help!.

Comments

• edited December 2011
    The AH symbol is the Anchor Hocking Company.

It is a medicine bottle of some sort. I think you will find its shape is very similar to the ubiquitous Bromo Seltzer bottles.

Mid 20th century.

Fairly common...a few dollars decorative value.
  • The color is known as cobalt blue. The metallic element cobalt is used to achieve the blue color.
  • Every time I see the HA mark, I dither over "is it Anchor-Hocking or Hazel-Atlas?", then I reach for a book. My books aren't the newest, so now I'm going to hedge my bets again -- maybe 'Historic' has some newer evidence than presented in my old books. But... Arthur Peterson's 1968 booklet "400 TRADEMARKS ON GLASS" on page 49 in final chapter "Some Trademarks Introduced After 1914" lists "H straddling an A, in a circle. Hazel Atlas Glass Corp., Wheeling W.Va --1923." [sic - no idea the significance of '--1923']
    Hazel Marie Weatherman, long-time 'queen' of Depression Glass, says in the 1974 edition of one of her books about molded/pressed tableware for which the company is best known by glass collectors: "Hazel-Atlas did not plant color into its lines until 1929... A deep blue Hazel-Atlas called 'Ritz blue' was developed for 1936." Weatherman also writes, though, the company resulted "...from 1902 merger two Washington PA 'container firms' of Hazel Glass Co. & Atlas Glass & Metal Company." The Weatherman books all conspicuously display the H-over-A trademark, but since her research is of pressed tableware, her comments may not apply to original H-A factories making "containers" (i.e. bottles?!) where an earlier deep cobalt blue shade might have been in production. Anyway, "Fairly common...a few dollars decorative value."
  • edited December 2011
    Bob,

Guess I will be dithering from now on! Now I realize the logo makes more sense to be HA rather than AH.

I have the Julian Toulouse book; I need to get the 400 TRADEMARKS pamphlet.

Thanks for setting me straight on this.

Chris