What are these and do they have any value

edited December 2011 in Question and Answer
I have two bottles i would like more info on. the first one has no name just a date on the bottom.
"DESIGN
PAT'D
MAR.3,25"
please see picture.

the second bottle says.
HARRELL on top and the bottom says
Property of Coca-Cola
Bottling Co.
5 L G W2
6 1/2 Flu.ozs.
Waycross, Ga.
1 387

Comments

• Generically, you would refer to this as a "crown top soda bottle"

Although it is embossed "Property of Coca-Cola Bottling Co." it may have contained a different product than Coke.

Yes, crown top sodas are collected and some can be quite valuable. Many remain in the sub $10 value range. I am by no means an expert on this but I suspect this one falls into that category.
  • Thank you, historic. Do you have any idea how i can find out about the first bottle? The one with the "dash" looking designs (the first three pictures)
  • It is also a soda but I do not know what product it would have contained. one might be able to glean some knowledge by researching the patent. I can say, however, that patent research even when you know the object and the date can be a challenge.
  • I am pretty sure the first bottle is a soda bottle and perhaps Pepsi. I have a nephew digging through the old dump pile from when I was a kid and even before. He is collecting metal to haul off and throwing unbroken bottles to the side. He just started on this particular pile which is in woods. I walked back there a few days ago and saw that bottle. I am planning on going there tomorrow and get it and other bottles he has unearthed and digging around a little myself, maybe...I am scared of snakes! None will be real old, most from when I grew up having been born in 1951 so will be of sentimental value to display.
  • I guess I saw that bottle some where else because I did not find it today at the trash pile. It may be in a corn crib with a few other bottles dug up a few months ago in another trash pile on the property. If I find it,I will post it.
  • It is probably a Nehi soda bottle. Here is one I found on ebay and the description they give of it to compare to yours. The price they have as a "Buy It Now" is $17.99.

Their description:
    This is one clear 1930s embossed NEHI THE BEST MINIMUM CONTENTS 9 FLUID OUNCES CHERO-COLA BOTT CO BETHLEHEM, PA soda bottle. Also has DESIGN PAT'D MAR 3 .25 embossed on the bottom. Bottle has case wear, very little haze, a few flea bites, and a tiny flash on the back neck (much smaller than a dime) no real damage, mentioned for accuracy. This is a very rare Nehi bottle, not to be confused with the common silk stocking nehi the doesn't have "THE BEST" embossed on it.