Help identifying 4 antique bottles

edited November 2011 in Question and Answer
I have a brown large glass bottle, which is apx 12" tall. It is a cork bottle. It has a diamond on the bottom with the letter I. People have told me it is an old pill bottle that doctors used to use in their office to contain medicine when they used to give their patients prescriptions. The lip goes over the top and is very thick glass. There is a small seam going all the way to the top.

I have another large glass bottle, apx 12" tall. It is a cork bottle. It has a circle with a diamond shape going across it. It has the letter I inside the circle. It is thick glass. The seam goes just to the middle of the neck. On left side of diamond on bottom it has the number 7. To the right of the diamond on bottom it has the number 4. Underneath the circle on the bottom it has the number 3. Can you tell me anything about this?

I have a gallon glass jug. It has a screw top. The jug has one gallon near the top before the neck. On the bottom
it has the number 386 on one side and the number 5 on the other side. It has a slight seam like on each side all the way to the top. The lid is in tack. The handle is rounded.

I also have a another glass jug. It is screw top. The bottom of the jug has a number 10 to one side, then in middle the
number 8 inside a diamond like shape, the to the left the letter 6 . Then to the top of the circle seam it appears to
have the number 1668. In the sides of the middle circle on one side it looks like a number 6 (to the left) and a number 6 (unclear). There is a slight seam on both sides and the handle is round with a point like at bottom. It has just a piece of a label unreadable. No lid.

Can you tell me any history to these bottles and if you can give me a guess of what they might be worth?

Thanks a lot, Donna Rae

Comments

• What you are describing are 20th century machine made bottles - from the approximate 1930-1960s time frame.

These could have contained any number of household or medicinal products - a photo or two would help others identify their use
  • Thank you. I will have one of my children put a picture of these bottles on this site for me. I also have some other bottles I would like to know a little about. I have a Dr. Pepper bottle, with raised letters. It is green color. If I remember right, it has I think 1855 on the bottom. I have at another location but will bring home to get picture and more details. My youngest son who is 11 yrs old has had a lot of interest in these old bottles and I have found myself wondering more and more about them, their history. I have a small collection of liquor bottles which I think must be older than 1930 because they do not have the Law Prohibits statement on them and a cork lid. I think I read this on your site. I again, thank you for all your information and find it very interesting!