No identifying markers...

I dug a bottle out of the ground yesterday and its giving me very little clues....No seam line, No letters or numbers and there are little dimples in the mouth piece area. The glass is a bit irregular and has bubbles in it which makes me think it dates prior to 1900... Any help is greatly appreciated. I am happy to answer any questions :)

Comments

• Thanks for posting.

The dimples in the sides of the lip are part of the closure - this would have had a wire bail with porcelain stopper and gasket for a closure.

It has the appearance of a turn-mold bottle. See
    https://sha.org/bottle/body.htm#Turn molds

This is likely of European manufacture.
  • Oh how interesting! I live in Hawaii and there is a large Asian population here. Could this be from East Asia?

Also I think you are right about the turn mold because it has very faint cylindrical lines going all around it but I didn't know why. Now it makes sense! Are there any pictures you know of that show how the original closure would have looked? Most I've seen some that are close, but the dimples are below the lip.

Thank you!!
  • Also I think the shape may be for a mineral water? I think its too light for a champagne bottle?
  • Here is a picture of a turn of the century European bottle, similar color, similar stopper (no dimples) but you get the idea.

Definitely not champagne - a specific shape with heavy base is used for champagne, a basic shape still found today.

I would say mineral water or soda.

• Interesting! I talked to another gentleman who said that it could possibly be made in Korea or Japan as they also made the glass fishing floats that were shades of aqua like this bottle. Also, I live in a heavily Asian populated area. I just thought that was fascinating and you also said it was probably made over seas. Such an interesting adventure!