Age of Bottle

edited November 2011 in Question and Answer
I have a bottle that was dug up this week and I've completely cleaned it yet. I have ascertained that it was made by Owens, cant emboss the bottom however, it appears to be one used with cork, on the bottom has the Owens [O] (boxed) on the right is a 2, left 8 so kinda looks like 2 [O] 8 however under boxed O is the number "4". Can u please tell me the age and purpose of this bottle?

Comments

• I'm sorry I havent completely cleaned it yet, sorry for the typo.
  • I would also like to know what it was used for if that is possible, ty.
  • Owens Bottle Co. (later Owens-Illinois) used the "boxed O" mark from 1911 to 1929 according to Julian Toulouse's book.

This is a cruet - for oil / vinegar / syrup or something of the sort.
  • Exactly, a cruet or "syrup", made by an Owens bottle-making machine, totally mimicking the pressed glass industry's "pattern glass" pieces of a generation earlier (1880's-1915), where a blob of molten glass would be taken out a crucible on the end of an iron rod, the blob cut loose of the rod with iron shears, and falling into a metal mold where it was pressed into shape by a plunger. And the pressed glass factories had been mimicking the blown & cut production of the high end glass works, where the shape was formed by hand by the glassblower working the blown bubble, partially using a mold to get the shape started; after the blown piece cooled, a glass cutter would have "cut" the designs into the outside with grinding wheels, then polishing. The vertical design in the base would have been called "slice" cuts, while the circular indentations were "punties" or "printies" or thumbprints.
    Pieces like shown may have not been made for a specific product, as up through at least 1930, glass companies sold small consignments of all kinds of glass containers by catalog order and to general stores for resale as "packers" to local farm wives and small-time business men to fill with a local product for the local market. So you might buy homemade strawberry jam in glass water tumbler supplied as a packer, or farmer Jones Maple Syrup in a packer like you have. BobB