Friendship and Clasped Hands flask

edited April 2018 in Question and Answer
I have an attractive clear blue-tinted bottle and the base states,"Federal Law forbids sale or reuse of this bottle." Half the statement is legible but the other half is not as crisp. Also on the bottom, it has the numbers:
L-9529
D-126
2(laying on its side)
also, an upper case "i" within an embossed circle.
I have a some pictures attached.

The bottle face is entitled, "FRIENDSHIP" and there is a joining of 2 hands in a handshake within a shield.
I would greatly appreciate some information about this bottle and some idea of its value. I was most excited to find your site for more information on its history. Thank you for anything you might share.

Comments

• Your liquor decanter dates to the 1960s or 70s - a time when it seems a number of liquor companies produced bottles that mimicked the designs of 19th century historical flasks.

This decanter of yours is similar to what bottle collectors call the "Union and Clasped Hands" flasks.

I have traced the D-126 mark to both the Calvert and Seagrams brands based on labeled bottles with the same mark...
  • Thank you!
  • I do have a question. Is a bottle this large considered a flask? The dimensions are 11"×6".
  • Oops, never mind. I see you said de canter. Sorry.
  • It's a good question.

I say decanter because this was fancy packaging for a commercial product and it is complete with a matching stopper.

The original bottles on which yours is based are called flasks.
  • Any idea about the value of this decanter?