How old is this M.A. Gedney Pickling Co Glass Bottle

Found the following glass bottle. It's quite purple and embossed on the bottom. The top of the opening is not super straight and the hole in the top is not of an even diameter or thickness. I know Gedney started in MN in 1880 and is still in business today but I don't know a whole lot about specific bottles and was looking for some possible information regarding age and worth. Thanks!

Comments

• Betty Zumwalt's excellent book, Ketchup Pickles Sauces, covers this bottle on page 165. She lists it as rare; its contents peppersauce.

Your bottle was originally fitted with a metal closure which I believe had something of a drip top.

The glass contains manganese, the presence of which will result in the purple coloration. Likely your bottle has been exposed to some sort of UV light to bring out that color.

I have honestly no idea about the value - if I were to shoot from the hip, I would probably say in the range of $20 but that is entirely a guesstimate.

I believe use of manganese ended around the time of WW1 so your bottle dates just prior..
  • Thank you so much Chris! I wasn't expecting to get so much information. I was sort of wondering how pickles fit through such a small opening. Good to know it held peppersauce. I will have to get a copy of that book! Thanks again!