Diamond OI Mark Gallon 16 sided Owens, Illinois Glass jug, probably...I am new to glass, it found me

This bottle found me while hiking and then 500 feet at the bottom of a cliff below the original pieces found was the "mouth of a jug" which actually was the top for the original bottle. Amazing. So I'm now in love with this jug and want to know more about it. It's a one gallon jug with 16 sides, as far as I can research so far it has a Diamond OI Mark on the top line, a DI on the next line and 55 - 7 on the third line all on the bottom of the jug. Probably has "scarring" as described for Owens bottles. I will post pictures and appreciate any feedback so I can put the history of my bottle together with it's awesome and strange story.

Comments

• I am new here, my Whiskey Bottle brought me to find out what it is, when it was created and all I can about it. The "jug" top was found 500 feet down a cliff from the rest of the bottle. The sides are flat in 16 sections around. I have pieces, enough to make it interesting. I well go back soon and see if I can find the rest. I look forward to solving this great mystery.
  • I am not entirely clear on the position of the 55 and 7 in relation to the OI mfgr. symbol. Usually they are to the immediate left and right. It also matters whether there is a dot after the right number

However, it is not possible to accurately date all OI bottles from what I understand.

As for use of the bottle - some type of liquid. Getting more specific involves scanning advertisements from the 1930s/40s/50s in hopes of seeing a bottle of this shape in an ad - or finding a picture of one with a label.

• I have a very pristeen Ol 1 Gal bottle w/16 sides and with a pour spout pintle. I have no clue when this bottle was made cannot find one bit of info Dennisimageimageimage
  • Could have been for cider vinegar but then again just about any other household liquid which would store well at room temperature.

We can rule out alcohol since this bottle is mid 20th century and during that time it would have embossing required by law which reads, "FEDERAL LAW FORBIDS SALE OR REUSE OF THIS BOTTLE"

See my previous comment in this thread regarding how to research...