Need help with FEDERAL LAW FORBIDS - Bottle within a Bottle

edited February 2018 in Question and Answer
I purchased this bottle last year at an estate sale. I have tried many avenues in trying to identify it. The "Federal Law Forbids...", leads me to believe it probably contained liquor of some sort. The bottom of the larger glass has, D - 60, 9789, 9-S-5 and the inner glass 7381. The smaller glass jar screws into the cap which then screws onto the larger one. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Thanks for posting and welcome

This is an oddity. One sees tableware, as in a carafe or decanter, which have an insert meant to contain ice to cool the surrounding liquid. I believe this is different - my hunch is that one part was for the alcohol and the other for the mixer.

And yes, the FEDERAL LAW embossing is there specifically because federal law required this marking for hard liquor. I have a page on my website that discusses this.

The key to identifying the company behind this product is the "D-60" I have been building a list for years of these Distiller numbers based on labeled and otherwise identified examples. Most I find just by searching FEDERAL LAW bottles on eBay. Sorry, I have not pinned down D-60 yet. If you do, let me know!
  • edited February 2018
    Probably a better clue:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Liquor-Bottle-Jug-Laird-Co-Scobeyville-NJ-168-D60/253422460327

Likely connection with Laird Company of Scobeyville, New Jersey which has produced Applejack since 1780.

Reading down the page of their "Interesting Facts" (http://www.lairdandcompany.com/index2.htm) one finds a discussion of a drink called the Stonewall in honor of Stonewall Jackson. It's a blend of applejack and hard cider.

One wonders if your container contained those two ingredients.
  • Thank you so much Chris. This is very interesting info. I am in New Jersey, if that makes a difference. This gives me more to work on. Great job in getting me closer and I appreciate it.