need help ageing green bottle.

Hey. Completely new to bottles. So much information out there. I came across a bottle dump and before going back i'd like an approximate age of this bottle to see whether further investigation of the area is needed. I'm in the uk. Found the bottle near a reservoir hidden in some woodland. Thanks in advance! Also not sure if visible in pics but a seam runs up the bottle.

Comments

• Hi and thanks for posting.

I do not have vast knowledge of dating UK bottles but I am comfortable saying this is 19th century - later 19th c.

A few things to observe - in photo #1, the lip is applied to the neck of the bottle. If you look closely you can spot some visual clues to suggest that this is the case. With later bottles, the lip is formed at the same time without adding further glass.

The forth photo does a great job of illustrating the irregularities of the glass surface and imperfections in the glass. Machine made bottles are much more uniform and smooth and the glass will have if any impurities.

This is a common generic bottle but old enough - I would be back at that location looking for more!
  • Do report back if you find anything further!