Green Glass Bottle

edited September 2011 in Question and Answer
Hi All,
I recently inherited a green glass bottle that had been in my grandmother's house for as long as I can remember. I was trying to learn something about it and found this forum and wondered if any of you can help me. It is about 8 inches tall and has a circular medallion on the front with the number 1 and two stars on it. Otherwise it has no other markings that I can see. It looks to be handblown -- there are air bubbles all through the glass. I have attached a picture of the bottle, the medallion, and the bottom. If anyone can tell me anything about this bottle -- it's age, what it might have been used for, etc., I would be appreciative. Thank you!
074.JPG 682.3K
075.JPG 859.4K
077.JPG 808.5K

Comments

• This is a modern (ie. 20th century) reproduction of an "dutch onion" or "shaft and globe" bottle originally produced in the 17th century.

It has an applied seal like some rare early originals. Similar examples are still made today for the tourist trade and sold at Colonial Williamsburg and Jamestown.

It does have a little decorative value.
  • Thank you for the information! It's nice to know what I have. Too bad it's not an original but I was afraid it looked a little too "clean". Thanks again!