Emerald green bust of Washington unlike others.

Please help me with this one, it's 10.61" tall, 5.4" shoulder to shoulder, and base width is 4.1". Its very orange peeled glass texture and seems crude. The top lip looks like two or three layers deep and super wavy and drippy, it's not cracked at all but it has 2-4 fold overs/seams/separations at the very top of the lip where you can see and feel the separation(8 mm gap the widest one). You can still feel a tiny hairline on the inside of the upper lip/neck With your pinky, from where they didn't smooth it out all the way. It's not super heavy glass like a clevenger Repro but has some weight to it. There are seed bubbles not a lot and one open bubble that's not even that noticeable. The pontil is deep in there and kind of looks like two pontils, which are sharp still. It has no mold mark except for the side seams which in themselves are wide wavy and crude going up the waist disappearing in the arms and shoulders reappearing in the top of the head then terminating completely before the neck. These strange straw or willow lines run from the bottom of the bottle to the top can see it go under the applied lip. George is looking to the right just slightly, his left shoulder is a little more pointy(mold seam) and the right is flat, and there is no embossed lettering of any kind on it. Its different from the other repros I've seen of it but what is it. Thanks in advance for the knowledge.

Comments

• edited July 2016
    Hi and welcome

Thanks for posting all the pictures.

Your bottle is what Tom Haunton calls Washington Bottle, Variety #1 in his Clevenger book. His research pinpoints this to the 1935-42 era.

I would say that this is definitely much scarcer than other Simon Centennial Bitters / Washington figural reproductions..
  • Nice, thanks for the information. I will keep looking into it.