H.E Bosley pharmacist

I would like to know how old this bottle is , and some info on it, being I can not find any info or history on the Internet about this peice.

Clear color///// embossed on the side\\\ normal thickness

Comments

• edited June 2016
    Hi and welcome,

Before there was Rite-Aid and other chain drug stores, most towns had a local pharmacy. The owner/proprietor purchased his custom bottles from a druggist supply company which in turn had them manufactured at a glassworks like Whitall-Tatum. There were thousands of such shops.

Unfortunately for you, Bosley chose not to emboss the town and state on his bottles so it will be a major task to track down where this particular pharmacist was located. I ran a quick search and found a Bosley's Pharmacy in Michigan - might this be a descendant of the Bosley business connected to your bottle? You might also try setting up a saved search on ebay in hopes of finding a labeled example of a Bosley bottle which could provide some further clues.

And you thought this was going to be a simple little research project!

Once you find the town name or city, then you can contact a historical society or perhaps the town's library to consult their city directories for decades past.

As for the bottle, I can say it is either very late 19th century or early 20th century. If the mold seam makes its way all the way to the top edge of the opening, then it is machine-made and at the latter end of this time frame.

Good luck with your research and do report back with any findings.
  • Thank you, though this bottle does have the embossed Charles and 25th street. This means it is a Baltimore bottle, which makes sense because I found it in the Baltimore area.
  • Being a Baltimore bottle has its advantages. There is a book specifically on the bottles of this city, and you should be able to do some research via city directories and/or newspapers of the era.

Good luck
  • Thank you, do you happen to know the title or author of this book because I would like to purchase it.
  • Here is a link to the Baltimore Bottle Club page with info on purchasing this book. Incidentally, it is well worth attending their annual show - each March. Many of us travel a long way to attend..

http://www.baltimorebottleclub.org/book.htm
  • Thank you