Decanter from The Great Expedition

edited August 2011 in Question and Answer
Can anyone tell me what kind of decanter this is. It has silver around the neck . Its from the Great Expedition.

Comments

• When you say, "Its from the Great Expedition," what do you mean or how do you know this? Is there embossing on the bottle? Markings on the base? Is the "silver" on the neck actually foil, or is it more substantial?
  • It has 4 emblems on the neck. 1 says United States of America in (The U in United looks like a V. USA, Paris, Louisiana Purchase Exposition with an American Eagle above it.
    The bottom is Gold Colored and Indented. The Neck is Silver (Not Foil)
  • I suspect that this info refers to awards that the product received at these events. The Louisiana Purchase Exposition was in 1904 (see the wikipedia page for more info) making this an earlier 20th century bottle which seems about right.

Probably alcohol or liquor or some sort.
  • The emblems suggest advertising of a product, like "official ... of the New England Patriots..." or "...bottler to King Gustav..."; the kick-up suggests wine, rather than other spirits. I don't have a decanter in my collection with a kick-up, while I bet lots of bottle collectors out there have wine bottles with kick-ups in the bottom. BobB
  • Any idea what it would be worth?