Cobalt Blue Bottle

edited January 2010 in Question and Answer
In 1974 while helmet diving in the Starnberger See, Germany...I discovered amongst a "potato masher" and a German Luger, a cobalt blue bottle wine bottle that appears black until light is shined thru it. This bottle has all indications of being glass blown and yet I have no idea what it is. I do know this...that in 1974 while diving at a depth of about 60 meters...I discovered this bottle.

I need help in identifying this bottle.

Augetjim

Comments

• Chris:

Here is what I have:

Bottle Cobalt Blue

Wt 1 lb 2.6 oz (heavy for a bottle of its size)

No visible markings

Ht: 11 5/8"

Dia at Base: 2"

I can't tell you enough...how much I appreciate the time you have spent on this.

Jim McGrath

img0359e.jpg

img0362f.jpg

img0364md.jpg

img0367n.jpg
  • Jim,

This bottle style is often referred to as a "hock wine" and I am sure collectors like myself have seen these in odd blue colors including an odd smokey gray blue color (prussian blue) as well as red amber or puce. Judging from the lip detail, it is a tooled lip so is probably late 19th or very early 20th century.

Its worth something if in great shape and the color is pale enough so it shows the color with backlighting. However, with the sea washing and dark color I wouldn't expect it to sell for more than a few dollars.

Chris
  • cool, yet not worth a lot ,awesome story of how it was found-do u still have the luger?