W.T. Co. Whitall Tatum?? HUGE Bottle 51" Around x 24" Tall Please help with any Info.

Fellow Bottle Collector's. I recently found this at an Alabama Estate and haven't even finished with the clean up but am very curious as to the use, age, and value of this find. The bottle has an applied lip with small notches on each side for a wire bail, I assume? Marks on the lip are "W.T. Co. E" with space between the W.T. Co. and E. There is also a faint large W T CO on the base that the photo's do not show. Condition appears super, with no chips or cracks. Lots of imperfections in the making as expected. Mold seam extends from side of base to shoulder (not visible on bottom). Thank you very much for any help you may provide.

Comments

• I apologize for the multiple listings. I did not think it was posting.
  • Well, it is a demijohn or carboy which is a fancy way of saying is a big bottle used to store bulk liquids, whether wine, acid, food, chemical, etc.

W.T. Co. undoubtedly stands for Whitall Tatum Company. This is the first example of embossing in an applied lip that I have seen on an American bottle.

The lip seems to have molded holes to accept a wire bail closure.
  • Thank you, Is there any other source where I might could pin down a date or value? I apologize again for the multiple postings, it was an accident. I really enjoy this site and check it daily I have learned alot in a short time from seeing the individual discussions. Thanks again, Trey
  • edited July 2011
    Glad to help.

According to Bottle Makers and Their Marks, Whitall Tatum & Co. was the business name this manufacturer used from 1857 to 1938. I would say this particular bottle is later 19th century.

The company was located in Millville, NJ

No worries on the multi-posts...I cleared the duplicates
  • Thanks for the help. We seem to be drawn to these large "blob top" bottles, Demi-Johns and such. I can only imagine the skill required to complete something of this size with molten glass!
  • This article may help you date the WTCO mark:
    www.sha.org/bottle/pdffiles/WTandCo_BLockhart.pdf
  • edited August 2014
    Its hard to believe I have just the same a bottle "TWCO 3" in the first picture top to left. I wondering where can I sell it? How much its worth it?... My Mom and Dad said its such worth it.

Wally Hodge
  • Just like this 100% same what I have now in my office.
  • If I may say it is very much an academic kind of bottle. Take away the embossing and it is just an aqua demijohn which is not particularly desirable. I am sure there are a few demijohn collectors who would like to own this but generally it is much like any other old large bottle for collecting coins...

I don't mean to look down on it, but I would say it has quite a range of value...I could tote this to a heck of a lot of shows with a price tag of $125...one might get lucky but I would expect to be bringing it home each time.
  • I see its low. I will keep it more another years. Thanks.