Mystery Whiskey Bottles

Hello. Just found this forum and thought "why not?" I would like some help if anyone would like to offer a hand. My father found some old bottles underneath the floor of an old grist mill he is doing carpentry at; located in Little Falls, NY. So he brought these home. Now, we know for a fact that these whiskey bottles pre-dates the early 1940's; (Both bottles the seams go all the way up to the lip, and they both have "FEDERAL LAW FORBIDS SALE OR REUSE OF THIS BOTTLE" on the neck.) However we would like to know more about the companies that brewed the whiskey, and made the bottles, etc. So far based on the research I did, the Gay-Chic bottle was made by: Knox Bottle Co. (1932-1968) (trademark is a k in a keystone symbol), the whiskey itself was made and distilled by: Siegfried "----enthal?" (Lowenthal?) Co. out of Cleveland, Ohio. The Traders Post was made by: Metro Glass Bottle Co. (1935-1949) (trademark is a m inside a keystone symbol.) The whiskey was brewed and bottled by: Popper Morson Co. out of Jersey City, New Jersey. Now, that we have that little bit of info I still cannot find anything on these companies; it's almost as if they never existed. We would at least like to have that information on the history of them. The value of them we would like to know too if possible. Any information would help and we appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• The GAY CHIC bottle has a wonderful art deco appearance - if this were to clean up well and the label is in good shape then there would be some good value.

Bear in mind that so many businesses of an earlier time were local and did not do much in the way of advertising. Research tends to center around city directories, newspapers, magazine advertising, etc. and even then the specific info is sparse.

Thanks for sharing.
  • Thank you for your input. I appreciate the help. Perhaps I will go to a local library or town clerk. Maybe then I can find some paperwork or something on the companies that brewed the whiskey and not just the glassware company....
  • Also, would it be possible for us to sell these bottles if we wanted to, even though they have the "Federal ban statement" on the top?
  • The law was repealed in 1964 so I am not aware of any reason you cannot sell such bottles.