Owen-Illinois Glass Bottle

Hello, while out walking on my lunch break today, I came a crossed a bottled semi sticking out of the ground. I picked it up and noticed it seemed pretty old, it was filled with hard dirt, I brought it back to my office and cleaned it out. It has the marking from Owen-Illinois the diamond and O on the bottom and the number 12 to the left, 8 to the right and 13 on the bottom. I tried looking around for more info but can't find anything other than the plant number 12. The jar is about 2" tall and has the rainbow affect while looking at it in the light. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• It is a cream bottle - think of it as a miniature milk bottle of an earlier era. It had a paper insert cap to seal the top. The markings on the base date it to the 1930s.

Chris
  • Thank you :)
  • the base marking indicates the bottle was made in 1938. The code to the right of the <(I)> symbol is always the Date. Single date codes with a dot after them would be from the 1940s decade; single digits without the dot (and no Duraglas marking) date to the 1930s. Plant #12 operated in Gas City, NJ from 1930 to 1982.