Any place to search mold numbers?

edited July 2011 in Question and Answer
Helping my husband farm, came across a landowners trash pile where years ago in the country, you throw everything in a pile and what doesn't burn (glass), sets! Gentleman who owned it has been deceased for 25+ years and trash on the pie should be at least 40+ years old. I found some neat pieces still in tact and while I'm sure I'm not sitting on anything valuable, I am having fun researching glass and am curious about the dates of these pieces and what they were used for. In my research, I'm finding plenty of info on marks, bottle types, etc. but no searchable sites for mold numbers. Do they exist?

I also would take any info or sites that would provide more info on the four pieces I have. I call these my "treasures" haha:

1. Cork finish Owens-Illinois 3 oz. prescription bottle. Suction scar with "OWENS", the diamond/oval emblem, no plant number, but a "2" for year.

2. Cork finish Owens-Illinois 2 oz. prescription bottle. Suction scar with "OWENS", the diamond/oval emblem, plant number 12, a "2" for year. This bottle does have Duraglas in script on the front bottom.

3. Larger, screw-top Owens-Illinois bottle (looks like a vinegar bottle). "9" for plant number; "47" for year; "29-" and then "E 1595" underneath as what I'm guessing to be the mold number. Stippled bottom.

4. Anchor Hocking bottle with H superimposed on the anchor; mold of "Anchorglass" on front bottom. Looks to us like the shape of a cocktail sauce bottle. Number above emblem "482-". Number to the left "5"; Number to the right "12"; Number below "12". It does have a seam but glass looks misshapen on the inside around the middle. Stippled bottom. Interesting top: not cork, not screw top, but looks like when you would have the wire top holding it on.

Comments

• edited February 2018
    Julian Toulouse BOTTLE MAKERS AND THEIR MARKS will provide a *bit* of info and is the only book on the subject that I am aware of.

Your only other choice is to track down an able and willing historian at Owens-Illinois, if such a person exists. If you find such a person, please let me know!

Christopher Woods
    Historic Glasshouse
  • Hi there Jenn! Our best suggestions would be to give The Ohio Glass Museum a call. Many of the people who work there are previous Anchor Hocking Company employees. They have an extensive library of materials and glassware and may be able to help you track down the piece - http://www.ohioglassmuseum.org/contactus.php

Also - You may pose the question on our Facebook wall as we have some glass historians who follow our page - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Anchor-Hocking-Company/279487411614

We hope you find what you are looking for!

*Cheers*
    The Anchor Hocking Company Webteam
    www.anchorhocking.com
    www.anchoronline.com
    twitter @anchorhocking
  • Any Owens-Illinois Glass Co. bottle with 'Duraglas' dates to post 1940...so your "2" date code = 1942.
    The 'E' in the 'E1595' code means it is a "narrow-mouthed food" bottle in the Owens-Illinois system. The stippled base texture also correlates to a post-1940 date.