Want to Know More....

edited June 2011 in Question and Answer
We are adding an addition onto an 1840's farmhouse, and with all of our digging have found a number of glass bottles. I have one that is 5 5/8 inch. It is clear, with no embossing. The seam is thick, but stops mid way up the neck. The lip seems to be either applied or sort of rolled down. The top of the lip is smooth, but the bottom of the lip is jagged and uneven, like it had just been 'rolled down'. There are some bubbles in the glass, and though the bottle overall is pretty uniform, it still has irregularities to its' symmetry; like the thickness of the bottom.

Here is where I get lost.... it does not have a pontil. At least not a defined one that I can pick up on. The bottom is mostly smooth, but not perfect. Like a hand scraped piece of wood. It is smooth, but not flat. Does that make sense?

The bottle isn't all that interesting..... But I am enthralled with anything that has to do with the history of the house.

Have any info?
THANKS,
KATIE
www.cochranfarmlife.blogspot.com

Comments

• Hi Katie
    This is a late 19th/early 20th century bottle made with some degree of automated production. Such bottles were not handled after blowing via a pontil rod so there is no mark.

This is most likely a bulk pharmacy or medicine bottle which was sold in quantity for use by a local pharmacist or merchant who would add their own label and/or packaging.