Early american jar, or modern blown replica?

edited April 2014 in Question and Answer
Hi,
I would love some help on this great piece of glass. I have an nice bottle collection, but only 1 historic flask, so this jar is out of my usual realm of buying/collecting. It has all the signs of being early and it doesn't have the color of a jamestown repro, but I'm not familiar enough with historic glass to tell if it's actually real, or a modern blown replica.

The lid is a set in flanged cover (similar to plate 31 in the 1950 McKearin). The foot is applied, sloping, and circular. The Jar is lightly ribbed and the glass weight does not feel leaded. The sides of the jar form a pentagon. There is a very obvious and fairly rough pontil mark on the base and the knob of the lid. It looks like something that took real talent to make, regardless of age.

The base does have some shelf wear but it is not uniform around the entire base.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Welcome to the forum.

Hard to say precisely where it was produced but it does have characteristics of Mexican hand blown glass. Nonetheless, it is a modern piece, but hand blown.

I have a number of reproduction and modern glass items in my collection - I appreciate them for their handmade qualities, even if they are not worth a whole lot.

Chris
  • Thanks, Chris. Yeah, the lid looks identical to some other "mid-western" mexican replicas I've seen. It's still a great piece with a lot going on between the swirl and pentagon.

Thanks again!