So I was mining for gold in Placer county one day.....

And I found a piece of glass that smacked of "old as heck" if you know what I mean. It is clear but cloudy, possibly from being exposed for so long (if it's old) and has a clear 7, 56, 5, and what looks to be an "F" in the middle circle. It looks to be from the front of the bottle. It was found in an area that was very well travelled in the 49'er days if that helps. Let's see what we come up with!

Comments

• This is the base of what is likely a soda bottle I suspect. The diameter seems about right. Are you sure it is an "F" and are you sure it is in a circle and not a hexagon or other sided shape?

I can say for sure this is mid 20th century.
  • It's hard to say if it is an f or not, its been worn away by the environment. Its actually an oval at second look that may have had a chainlike texture to it.
  • A capital F inside a hexagon was the mark used by Fairmount Glass in Indiana during 1945-60....this makes the most sense BUT

not all manufacturer marks are known.

I am however comfortable with my dating of the shard.
  • I'm comfortable with it too!! After all the real reason I went there was attained :) Lots of it. Thanks for your time!!