need help aging this wyeth&wyeth soda

This bottle stands 6and3/4 in topped by a wire cork-puller. The thick bottom reads ''GS&Co'' and is embrossed as in pics.I would also like to know how badly the damage to the top effects the value

Comments

• Hi Hollerstomp

Great question

First, this is a Hutchinson soda, one of three I find listed over at hutchbook.com for Wyeth

The answer to the damage-affect-on-value in general is as follows:

For the majority of bottles for which there are perfect examples to be found, then it hits pretty hard on value. Many collectors follow a rule of ten percent of value if perfect for major damage (crack, big chip, piece missing) You can lug such bottles to shows for years and not sell them - but ebay sales for damaged bottles sometimes run up irrationally high.

The ten percent rule works most of the time. For very rare or very valuable bottles, then a collector or collectors are willing to pay more than 10 percent for the damaged piece. They recognize that it is going to take a long time to find another example or have to re-mortgage their house to buy a perfect example.

There is also what I call "the Local Effect" - two collectors are both seeking to fill a gap in their shelf for a particular bottle, whether it be from a specific town, specific state or specific collecting niche. In an auction environment, things can get out of hand.

Chris