Blue bottle, leaf design, twisted glass pattern. Trying to determine it's age and/or origin.

edited March 2013 in Question and Answer
I have a blue glass bottle bought at a thrift shop. First I thought it was a vase but realized it's some kind of bottle. Has a flared lip with at least 3 seams going to the neck only. About 9 inches tall. The design is a twisted glass pattern up to the neck with large palmettes at the base that seem to be separate from the twist pattern. I think it might be a decanter or barber bottle but I'm not sure. The lip indicates mid 19th century, as well as the seam. But I have had the hardest time finding out whether it's authentic or fake. There is a large ring on the bottom, but not an indented pontil mark within that shape. The mark is a very faded C or G with what looks like an arrow or a tree through it. It is similar to the Imperial IG but not exactly the same so it makes me wonder if it's a different glass maker altogether? Thank you.

Comments

• Sorry no photo yet
  • Welcome to the forum.

No one nowhere can tell you nothin' worth anythin' without photos :-) Glad to help when you have time to upload a few.

Chris
  • So here are the photos. There's a leafy sort of design around the bottom, sorry if it's a little fuzzy.
  • I have one like it -- got mine in a thrift shop 10 months ago -- mine seems to be a more brilliant dark sapphire blue, though maybe yours would show up bluer with more light. 7-3/8" hi, some bubbles visable, the bottom has a pebbley surface and no marks of any kind are distinguishable. I think the throat is shaped to receive a loose-fitting stopper or maybe a large cork; I see that mine has an upturned lip where yours does not. I think mine would be called a carafe. About the lip: it has been thickened, like having a "bead" applied all around the edge, -- but I do not think it is actually "applied" as a separate piece. Cheap glassware has this feature to strengthen it against chipping, per what I have heard called the "Libby Lip" due to a 1953 patent of the Libby Glass Company. But I have never seen a Libby Lip where there is a small bulge, like a machine has gone once around the mouth applying high heat (my guess) that melts the edge so that it sags. But the finish point is melted twice. Anyway, this pattern does not match up with any American "pattern glass" that I know of & this lip technique suggests new. Also, mine shows no foot ring wear and you would think any decanter/carafe actively in use for more than a few years would show a little wear. That 2 of us are enquiring about a blue decanter we just found is no coincidence. I am thinking late decorative ware with a nautical motif (blue sea with seaweed sprouting from the bottom). Imperial Glass hasn't had its fire lit since about 1987; I guess it's plausible that Imperial made it in their closing days. They would have marked most everything after 1973 when Congress passed that weird law about marking reproductions,-- but then made it effective only for baseball trading cards and a couple other minor collectibles. But any factory would have had trouble keeping a ledgible mark on items like these, which are blown-molded. On your suggestion, I'll look through some books showing Imperial products. Happy hunting. GlassBobB@verizon.net FYI I will have some REAL decanters amongst my other glass I am showing May 12th-19th on the Heart-O-The-Mart field at Brimfield, Massachusetts.
  • Darn. =( I was REALLY hoping it was 19th century. Chris?
  • & thanks Bob
  • Sorry to disappoint, but unquestionably 20th century.

I believe the decoration to be acanthus leaf, a common decorative motif in the 19th c.

Chris