Crackle Jar

Any idea of what this bottle may have been used for? Or time era? Value?
The opening is very small, about 3/4 of an inch. It has a seam runs all the way through the lip. The inside is smooth, but the outside has a crackle appearance with an opal tint. The front has a smooth area where a label would have been attached at some point. Above that area, is a sailboat embossed. The bottom of the bottle has a 2 then a symbol that is a diamond with a circle or an "o" running through the center, then the number 3, then centered under that all is the number 3 again.
My guess is perhaps it was an old liqour bottle? My guess is it is about a liter, although it doesnt say any where what the actual size is?
Thank You!

Comments

• Any thoughts? Thank you!
  • Cobwebs were a embossed decoration found on a few different whiskey bottles from the early 20th century. Witness the picture of the Spiritus Frumenti bottle in the attached photo - this is a Prohibition-era bottle.

Your bottle however seems to have a decoration meant to imply cracks - perhaps cracks in ice? What you need is to find an example with a label; there lies the only path to finding out what product was contained within.

Sorry to say this bottle does not have much value, but I can say that interest in 20th century bottles is growing. A market for such glass still is limited.

The O-I mark on the base indicates Owens-Illinois Glass Company which had plants and various related companies around the US. This mark was used during the period 1929 up until 1954.

If it contained alcohol, and it may very well have, then it would predate 1933 since legislation after that time required embossing, "FEDERAL LAW FORBIDS SALE OR REUSE OF THIS BOTTLE. See my web page on this topic for more info: http://www.antiquebottles-glass.com/learn/federal-law-forbids-sale-or-reuse-of-this-bottle/
  • Thank you so very much!!! I'm so excited to research this! I love telling stories about where my bottles came from! Thanks again.
  • I just found one like it today. Did you dig up anymore info on yours?
  • The only way to go further with research on a bottle like this is to find one with a label. Seems like an impossible task but it is not.

I spend a lot of time on ebayimage looking at both bottles and advertising.

Consider a search on "bottle (cobwebs, crackle)" (searches bottle AND cobwebs OR bottles and crackle)

Also search the advertising category using combinations of the words: ammonia, cleaner, household bottle, ad

Without the FEDERAL LAW FORBIDS embossing, I would think this is some type of household product. Just a hunch.