2 bottles dropped from the ceiling of the house great grandparents built in the 1920’s

There’s the letter “I” within a circle on the bottom but I’ve never seen that kind of embossing before. The guy redoing the house broke through the ceiling in the dining room and they both fell through almost hitting the poor guy!! They weren’t in the attic so they were between the attic floor and the ceiling. I’d appreciate any information on these 😊

Comments

• That's an odd place to stash bottles, esp. large ones!

These are, generically, called carboys or demijohns. They were used for transporting quantities of liquids as you might expect - some type of bulk product. I don't recall ever seeing one with a label but sometimes they were transported inside wooden crates which were marked.

The O-I marking on the base is Owens-Illinois, the glass manufacturer. These date from (likely) the second quarter of the 20th century.

• Thank you so much for giving me this information!! Yeah we’re all very confused as to why they would put them there 🤔 I would understand papers or trinkets…but 2 5gal glass jugs?? 😂 I appreciate your help, Chris 😊

• I should also say that these are not particularly valuable to antique bottle collectors but are still used by those who make their own beer or wine - homebrew -

The new ones are largely plastic and are not cheap...