Era of Blown Shot Glass with Pontil Mark?

I found this "shot glass" buried on a (now) uninhabited island in Long Island Sound (New York). The site had limited use as a seine net and fishing area, from pre-Revolutionary times up until about WWII (the latter based on artifacts I've found there). Other items in the area have been broken dishware from the 19th and 20th centuries (perhaps some earlier), hand made nails and spikes, fishing weights, broken wrinkle pane glass (fishing shack?), 1904 brass padlock, and other items.

The glass has a pontil mark, and appears to be hand blown. It has a decorative twist as can be seen. At the lip it is about 1 3/4" across, the base is about 1" in diameter, and it stands 2 1/2" high.

Would anyone have an idea as to when this may have been made? Can anyone point to another glass of this type? And is this actually a shot glass, or was glassware of this type used for some other purpose(s)?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Rich.

Comments

• Rich

Interesting, thanks for posting. It would be really helpful if you could provide a straight-on photo of the side and bottom. I have a gut reaction to this piece but am holding back until I see more detail.