Cobalt Blue Piggy Bank

edited August 2017 in Question and Answer
I grabbed this cobalt blue piggy bank for my mother who collects both cobalt glass and pigs.
Here's the thing.
The only other ones I can find online have tails, a definite snout shape and the spots go throughout.
This one has a round snout, spots halfway and no tail. It definitely seems to be old and not reproduction but I am not an expert and could very well be wrong. I basically just want to be able to tell my mom exactly or close to exactly what I got her.
No makers mark.

Comments

• Welcome and thanks for posting the pictures.

About all I can tell you here is that my strong hunch is that this is a modern piece. I have never seen anything resembling this in 19th century bottles.

I suspect if you look closely at the mold seams, the run up to and probably over the edge of the lip of the bottle, indicating it is machine made.
  • I have no doubt it's probably 19th century, I didn't expect it would be much older (not that it wouldn't be cool but definitely not expected). I am just trying to figure out why he doesn't look like all the similar piggies hahah! I think it's so strange I can find the other hobnail type pigs but not this guy. I just appreciate any and all info I can get just so I can let her know when I gift it to her.
    Here are some more pictures of the mold seams, they run about .. 1/4 or 3/8 inch from the lip before they stop. Thank you again for the help!