Trying to identify/date this cruet/bottle

Hi,

I'm trying to find information from this cruet/bottle that was recovered from our family home dating to the late 1800s in New England.

It appears to be free blown as there are no mold seams on either the vessel itself or the stopper and both are somewhat asymmetric. It is 3 1/2" tall and 3 1/4" wide at its widest point. The stopper is 2 1/2" inches from top to bottom and the entire thing is 5 inches tall with the stopper inserted.

The glass has dimpling throughout but it is interior to the bottle....the outside is smooth to the touch, although some unevenness can be felt as you run your hand over the exterior.

The base has what appears to be a ground and polished pontil scar, which is surrounded by several small circle impressions.

Both the stopper base and the interior of the neck have been ground, producing a very rough frosting effect.

The handle is crudely applied to the exterior.

I would call the color a rich London Topaz blue and the interior has staining, as can be seen in the pictures.

Appreciate anyone that could help me date this piece, its likely origin and if it has any value. I'm familiar with traditional bottles and flasks but have no experience with utility ware. Thanks!

Carl

Comments

• Hi and thanks for posting.

I am no expert here in this case but my gut reaction says this could have been made about anywhere - US, UK, Europe... The polished pontil suggests to me it is not Bohemian. Thumbprint pattern.

I hope this is at least somewhat helpful.
  • Inverted Thumbprint, not just Thumbprint which would be concave dots on the outside.