Value of H. A. EMEIS druggist bottle?

edited February 2017 in Question and Answer
So story of how bottle was found. I am a commercial diver and was working on I74 bridge connecting Illinois to Iowa. This is Mississippi river and visibility is zero so I was digging in muck and felt a bottle with raised lettering, I assumed it was dated so I brought it to surface. I did some research and found druggist name H.A EMEIS was first apprentice pharmasist in Iowa. There were papers with ads from 1863. I have not cleaned it still has the river muck on it and a small chip on neck. Due to the history and age and the rarity of the find. How could I value this?Or should I just keep it as a keep sake? I also found many old soda bottles 1940-60. Love some feedback.

markings on bottle
H.A. EMEIS
DRUGGIST
DAVENPORT, IOWA

Comments

• Hi
    Thanks for posting.

Your bottle dates from the early days of the 20th century.

Given the flakes on the lip, it is probably more of a keepsake. I would expect most drug store bottles like this to sell in the $10-20 range, although rare ones (and it is hard to be an expert on the hundreds if not thousands of examples out there from every pharmacy) might bring $100-200. The high prices are only going to be paid for perfect condition bottles..