Help With a Small Cork Top Bottle

Update**** So I found the maker and did more research. The name I found and was made in Philadelphia in the 1860's. The key mold was used instead of a punty to hold and the applied lip is in line with the dates this company operated during a decade in the 1860's. The key mold was invented in the 50's and I believe I have answered a lot of my questions other than the value. Please read below to see if my answers are accurate or if anything can be added or corrected. Thanks. I still would like to know how common this is and value.

Found digging in Cincinnati, Oh in William Henry Harrison's town where the old Ohio canal system once ran. This is a small bottle about 3.25" tall and appears to have an applied lip for a cork. It has FA&CO marked on the bottom. There are 2 feint seams running vertically in the bottle and connect to a very feint circle on the bottom. It has many wavy lines throughout and bubbles mostly towards the neck. It looks to be an applied lip but I'm just going off experience I have with borosilicate and being a glass artist when making this assumption. Cuz the lip is very uneven and loopy and appears to have been added. This is clear in color. Thanks for your help. ;-)imageimageimageimage

Comments

• Hi and welcome,

Good research on your part - I can fill in some further details to assist:

- collectors would say the color of your bottle is aqua (aquamarine) rather than clear

- yes, it does appear your bottle has an applied lip which would be typical for a mid-19th century product such as this.

- I had put together a brief page on Fahnestock, Albree & Company (https://www.antiquebottles-glass.com/fahnstock-albree-company/) which shows some other examples made by their glassworks.

Your bottle really would need some type of further embossing describing the product or proprietor to be of any specific value. However, I suspect you would find at least a little interest in this just based on the FA&Co embossing for those who collect Pittsburgh area bottles. Perhaps $5-10 I would say.