Seeking information on an old bottle with extensive embossing

I am interested in knowing anything about the bottle seen in the attached photo. It is 6 inches tall, 2 and one half at the base and 3 quarters at the top. It is a clear bottle with the image of a man with a conical hat sitting cross-legged. There appears to be a seam from above the scalloped base to the neck of the bottle. It does not reach the top. The top is not symmetrical but is smooth. There is not a stopper. There is an oval indention on the bottom of the bottle.
It seems to be old. Is it American? What was it used for? Is there a value to the bottle? I appreciate any information you can provide. Thank you.

Comments

• Hi and welcome.

This is a cologne bottle and is likely to be European in origin.

Is the base smooth or is there any kind of pontil mark? Any chips or other damage?
  • There are no chips or cracks. The base of the bottle has a pontil mark that is an oval indentation and is smooth. The picture does not do it justice. It is a very charming small bottle!
  • Hmm - a smooth oval indentation is not necessarily a pontil mark but nonetheless I would think your bottle would be worth in the $50-125 range. I am not familiar with this exact mold but that would be a value range for similar examples.

Date-wise - mid to later 19th century