Pitcher's Castoria bottles

You mentioned in your Worthless Bottles section that Pitcher's Castoria would be considered worthless because in 1910 mass production of glassware took off. My main question regards this. Pitcher's Castoria was bought by Fletcher's in 1871 and renamed "Fletcher's Castoria". How could it have been produced as "Pitcher's Castoria" after that date? Wouldn't those bottles then precede this 1910 cutoff for glassware mass production? I ask this because I have come across a bottle in an old construction yard and was trying to assess its value. Please advise.

Comments

• Regarding value, I can tell you that this product was extremely popular and as a result this bottle is VERY common. They might be worth a dollar or two.

They are definitely worth a bit more if they are in perfect shape and have their labels.

I remember back in the late 70s and/or early 80s there was a guy who advertised regularly in Old Bottle Magazine looking to purchase these in quantity. He wanted to build an outhouse of them!